Monday, 1 April 2013

HUG A TROLL

by Colin Bloom

Yesterday I wrote a fairly long piece for Conservative Home where I listed some of things that as Christians we might want to be pleased with the Government about. Titled  'Christian Conservatives can be proud of this Coalition's record but a lot more still needs to be done.' you can also read it on this blog here.

Within a few hours more than sixty people left comments, the vast majority of which were anti, some were rude, most dismissive  and many sarcastic.

Someone calling themselves Radsatser made some fairly limp comments about praying for politicians with the biblical verse, "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do."

Another, PSMIDDX made some lazy quip about all Tories being rich etc and someone called Grumble000 wants to see God throw all politicians into a black hole. Numerous people left me tweets suggesting that it is impossible to be a Conservative and a Christian and that all Tories are evil.

What was true in almost every regard was that the people who left these messages all did so under the cowardly cloak of anonymity of a nom de guerre. Maybe these people are braver than I think, maybe they are the kind of people that really make things happen, the sort of people that during a war would have been the first to volunteer for the front line. These people are, I've been told, called trolls. They're kind of cute aren't they?

Trolls are pretty harmless, people can do whatever they like, even on my blog I am allowing anonymous or made-up-name commentators. I would point out though, that you will never really be taken seriously until you come out from behind the mask.

I've said this before, but as far as it depends upon me, I want to live at peace with all people, including Trolls. But let's face it, William Wilberforce, Lord Shaftsbury, Abraham Lincoln, Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher did not change the world from their bedsit using a false identity; and nor will you.


No comments: